Saturday, January 21, 2006

Milk. Yes, my maiden post to Babies and Bucks is going to be about milk. Those who know me might think I'm about to give a breastfeeding lecture. No such luck. If you'll permit me, I'd like to talk about cow's milk, raw cow's milk to be exact.

Raw milk proponents are trying to get LB 132 scheduled for a hearing this month in the Nebraska Legislature. This law would allow dairy farmers to advertise and deliver raw milk directly to consumers. Current law allows consumers to obtain raw milk from farmers only if they pick it up or own a share of the cow. My skin crawls at the thought that we have to have a new piece of legislation for every move we make, but LB132 makes sense from a libertarian perspective because it takes a prohibitive law and expands freedoms for producers and consumers.

For anyone worried about my ties to special interest groups, no, I am not a producer. But I am a consumer. Yes, my family drinks unpasteurized milk. Before you beat me over the head with a diatribe about Louis Pasteur's (a good Catholic boy) contributions to science, I will remind you that Louis didn't invent the pasteurization of milk, but of wine and beer.

Why on earth do you drink unpasteurized milk, do you ask? Raw milk affecianados like to make many grand health claims, claiming that raw milk cures everything from asthma to arthritis. I do have an asthmatic son who has been much healthier since we switched to raw milk, but I don't believe the improvement can be solely attributed to his consumption of raw milk. We do believe raw milk is healthier than processed milk, in particular organic raw milk. But we believe that most whole foods are healthier than their highly processed counterparts. Raw milk contains vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and good bacteria that ultra-pasteurized, homogenized milk does not. There are times that we have chosen to pasteurize our milk at home, such as when I was pregnant. I still felt that by getting our milk raw and fresh from the farm and then low heat pasteurizing (180 degrees for three minutes) I was getting a nutritionally superior milk. This may also be a better option for those on certain medications that supress the immune system (such as certain asthma medications). See, people are capable of analyzing the situation and making all kinds of decisions without big brother's help!

Can you get sick from raw milk? Most certainly you can. But you can get sick from any food that is improperly handled. One of the usual suspects testifying against the legislation in committee was the politically correct university contingent (raw milk is not a politically correct food.) While they're testifying, maybe they should add to their list of foods that should be outlawed because we are not smart enough to avoid them. Sushi and soft french cheeses come to mind. Actually, the more I think about it, fast food restaurants come to mind. Have you read Fast Food Nation or seen Super Size Me? No, even though fast food has probably single handedly doubled the weight of our children and halved their life expectencies, you'll never catch industry special interest groups letting that one go through. On the other hand, you will find the Nebraska Dairy Industry Review Board,(representing the big guys in the dairy industry) testifying against raw milk legislation to make sure that small family farms can't sell their products directly to consumers looking for a wholesome, local product. Also testifying against the legislation, you will find the Nebraska Veterinary Medical Association, representing those who treat an awful lot of sick cows in huge, unsanitary, unhealthy dairy herds.

Before you misunderstand me, I am not in any way shape or form anti-business. I am as much of a free market enthusiast as you will find. What I am against is big business using government and our government funded universities to take away my freedom to go to my local health food store and purchase a product I'd like to consume. Our family likes to purchase our food as locally as possible and we like to know who we are purchasing from. That is what this legislation is about... local, fresh food and consumer choice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I did not know that about Pasteur. Always was led to believe it was milk. Interesting...thanks!

3:08 PM  
Blogger stockingup99 said...

Hard to stick to your no bashing rule.

The big dairy needs to pastuerize because of the scary dairy factory method of farming.

Small local dairies, which you could visit and see the shiny clean happy cows, are much less likely to have the nasties. Kidding about shiny clean, but they are at least more likely to be happy. And dirt is good, sunshine too.

I loved Supersize Me. Hoping it will change our schools. It seems to be working.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home